To ensure Providence Air Ambulance provides the best possible medical supervision, we have retained the services of EMPEX (Emergency Physician Extended Services). From this group of dedicated critical care physicians, one is assigned to each repatriation conducted by Providence Air Ambulance. The EMPEX physician will be available to discuss and direct medical care 24/7/365. Based on best practice standards developed by our Medical Director, Dr. Andrew Macnab, the overseeing EMPEX physician will respond to any and all communication requests from our medical teams within minutes.
EMPEX delivers expert emergency medical advice and provides oversight of medical care. Established in 2001, their initial responsibility was to provide telephone advice to the Royal Canadian Navy (Pacific Fleet Command) physician assistants on the west coast of Canada. Additionally EMPEX provided expert emergency medicine consulting services to the Canadian Coast Guard Arctic Fleet and have extensive experience supplying medical advice to the BC Ambulance Service (BCAS) Air Division.
Collectively, EMPEX physicians have expertise that spans the following areas of emergency medicine:
- Clinical supervision to maintain clinical relevancy for technicians and physician assistants in emergency medicine rotations
- Provision of emergency medicine telephone advice
- Longstanding/current emergency room practice
- Senior administration and provision of medical advice regarding air evacuation (ship and helicopter) and air and ground transport, including ground transport of critically and non-critically ill patients
- Lecturing, teaching, and training in medical school emergency medicine
- Emergency medicine related research and publication
EMPEX emergency physicians are fully familiar with how various tiers of critical care and non-critical care transports work and have established relationships and ready access to hospital-based intensivists in critical care. All of the EMPEX physicians:
- Meet licensure requirements and practice emergency medicine in the province of British Columbia, Canada
- Maintain active membership on multiple boards related to advancing and improving emergency medical care
- Have undertaken a university appointment in the role of clinical assistant professor (or more senior level) with the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of British Columbia
- Are experienced in emergency medicine administrative roles from the director to vice president levels
EMPEX support is available to the Providence Air Ambulance team around the clock via a single toll-free telephone number. All calls are recorded. EMPEX has a proven track record of delivering a response to emergency calls within one to three minutes, and a back-up system is in place. In the event of a connection failure, the call centre immediately redirects to an alternate emergency physician. And if any call involves circumstances outside of the expertise of the physician, they will undertake to find the answer or source another specialist who can.